Launching a crowdfunding platform can be a daunting task: from effectively training your team to understanding the technical specifications to choosing the metrics you’ll use for reporting, there’s a lot to consider. That’s why we developed this systematic roadmap to walk you through the considerations you and your team should make.
- Why are you considering the addition of crowdfunding to your fundraising toolkit?
- What do you hope to accomplish by integrating a platform?
- Are you trying to attract net new donors, younger donors, and/or foster higher engagement by existing donors?
- Are you trying to foster innovation within your organization and/or fund initiatives more cost effectively?
- How will crowdfunding and/or day of giving integrate with your current fundraising efforts?
- Do you have a baseline of existing online giving you want to improve?
- Will the marketing and stewardship processes for your platform have overlap?
- What can be budgeted towards the effort to deploy a platform?
- Which budget(s) will pay for the platform and resources?
- Who will be in charge of managing the budget?
- Who is involved in deciding the technology and platform specifications?
- Who is involved in integration and implementation?
- Who is involved in ongoing management?
- How many people?
- How many hours per week?
- Who will be responsible for product training?
- Who do reports and updates go to?
- Who will develop or manage campaign standards and the approval process?
TRAINING & SUPPORT
- What type of strategy will your organization use?
- Ex. set overall team goals or assign “departments” (i.e. groups respectively responsible for technical questions, best practices, platform-specific restrictions, etc.)
- What type of training does your organization need/expect?
- Ex. technical, operational, marketing, campaign creation, execution, and support
- How does your organization want users to access support?
- Ex. phone, chat, email, knowledge base, forum
- Should you buy or build?
- What other technologies does the platform need to interact with?
- Ex. payment processor, social media, existing online platforms
- Is it mobile friendly?
- Does it work with all browsers?
- Does it offer CSS Styling?
- Is there social media Integration?
- Is it easily embeddable on any URL?
- Can you fully customize pages?
- Do you have the ability to do offsite fundraising?
- Can the product accommodate donation matching?
- Does it incorporate gamification?
- Can you offer rewards to supporters?
- Can campaigns post updates?
- Can supporters post comments?
- Can businesses sponsor and donate rewards?
- How long will it take to train staff and faculty?
- How long will it take from platform build to launch?
- How many campaigns do you want to have active for platform launch?
- How long will it take to get this number submitted?
- How long will it take to vet and train campaign creators?
- How long will the campaigns run?
- How long between campaign cycles?
- What metrics should you use for baselines/reporting?
- Number of projects
- Total amount raised
- Number of net new donors
- Number of young donors
- Number of returning donors
- Social media impact
- Traditional media impact
- Effectiveness of message channel(s)
- Number of campaign participants overall
- Number and participation level of engaged businesses
- Successful projects